Friday, August 15, 2008

Protein, Protein, Protein....and tomatoes

Of all the emails I get, protein is by far the chief topic of concern. How am I getting it? Why am I not wasting away after around eight months on this diet?

I was reading "Walden" a few weeks back and I was reminded of a quote I had come across earlier by Thoreau on protein.

"One farmer says to me, 'You cannot live on vegetable food solely, for it furnishes nothing to make bones with,' and ... all the while he walks behind his oxen, which, with vegetable-made bones, jerk him and his lumbering plow along in spite of every obstacle."
-Henry David Thoreau

People have been so brainwashed by poor information that they think that meat, dairy and eggs are the sole source of protein, and that we need massive quantities of the stuff to build muscle, when just about every quality piece of science says otherwise.

If you're looking for quality info on protein, check out a recent page I put up at my site, which should explain why plant protein is superior for health, and why you don't neat animal protein at all.

Actually, I was going to write about tomatoes, but I have to get to work on a feature I'm working on.

Last night I biked 16.12 miles to Middletown. Today is my rest day for this weekend's 20-mile run.

No comments: