Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Marathon Pace

Quick Summary:

I was too busy to post yesterday, but I did get some running related stuff done.

I met Ed Bellows of Innovative Massage Therapy in Wallingford Tuesday morning. He describes himself as a muscle medic, and is trained in Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation. Basically he finds the knotted muscles that most people have running through their body, and points of pain, and then works the laundry list until they're all gone.

He was nice enough to take a look at me pro bono and started working on some knotted muscles in my legs and some spots of pain I had in my neck, etc.

Definitely a new experience for me, and quite satisfactory. I don't know if those muscles will stay loosened, but I certainly feel better for having it done.

Later I headed over to OMNI Physical Therapy, and they told me that my stride has come a long way. I've been working on the stretches they've given me to even out my hips, and concentrating on rolling from the heel to the ball of my foot when I run.

Today:

Now that I've proven I can go the distance, though I may do one or two more long runs, I'm going to concentrate on speed. I ran six miles at marathon pace this morning. I averaged 9:05 min miles. The key is maintaining that pace over many miles, and that's something I'm going to have to work on.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

I have a friend who's about to graduate from Massage Therapy school and she gave me a massage in my house a couple of weeks ago. OMG I was so relaxed afterwards I almost fell asleep. She undid knots I didn't even KNOW I had. Good for you for getting one, and pro bono at that!