Monday, September 8, 2008

Emasculating Meat





Your Virility and Meat

When I gave up meat, dairy and eggs in college, it was the end product of several years of research on the subject. I drew the conclusion that it was the smart thing to do in terms of health, so I just did it.

I didn't really tell anyone, but my friends caught on that I hadn't eaten meat in quite some time, and I admitted that yes, I was now a vegan.

They started ribbing me over it, making references to my girly food as they were downing their manly burgers, etc. I put up with this for maybe a week or so before I'd had enough.

In the middle of lunch at the dining room I cut one of these comments short and launched into a five-minute diatribe explaining that I was in fact statistically more manly than they were.

When it was all over, one of my friends dropped his chicken nugget and said, "man, that was really bad ass. He just gave us his manliness as a PERCENTAGE"

I've basically distilled that diatribe, with the addition of scientific citations, on my website.

If you're interested in why meat, dairy, and egg eaters are basically emasculating themselves with each bite, you should read it.

On the other hand, if you're coming from the paper's site and you're not comfortable reading about the male reproductive system, don't follow this link.

-------------------------------
Training

The bones in both feet are still a bit sore, although better. I'm willing to give them a few more days of rest, but I should really get back to training soon.

Went for a fantastic bike ride along the coast near Madison on Friday, followed by a swim at the beach. I rode through a pristine golf course because all the little hills were fun, though I'm sure I broke some rule there.

Sunday I went for a hike at Hubbard Park.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting. Did you hear about the study in India that linked a vegetarian diet to brain shrinkage?
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/HealthSci/Eating_veggies_shrinks_the_brain/articleshow/3480629.cms

So you'll be larger in one area but shorter in another.

Andrew said...

Interesting.

Besides the fact that there is no link between brain size and IQ tests, it's also worth noting that they're talking about general vegetarians and vegans, who tend to consume a lot of fat, not low fat raw vegans.

The human intestines actually have their own colony of bacteria that produces B12.

The bacteria feed on carbohydrates, and eating lots of fat robs them of their ability to produce B12. Fat also hampers B12 absorption.

If you've ever eaten vegan or vegetarian Indian food, you know it's not low in fat.

I'm just theorizing here. It's certainly an interesting point, and I'd be curious to see a followup study looking at IQ or brain function.