Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Lapping the USDA

Besides being ruled by special interests that won't allow that asinine food pyramid be be toppled, the USDA also sets nutrition goals that are about as unambitious as you can get.

Five a day? That doesn't even begin to cut it.

I run circles around their recommendations.

According to nutridiary.com , yesterday I ate (by USDA recommendations):

109% of my protein requirements
1434% of my Vitamin A requirements
2306% of my Vitamin C requirements.
153% of my calcium requirements
410% of my fiber requirements
153 percent of my Iron requirements.

What did I eat?
12 bananas with 3 pieces of celery in the morning
2 persimmons for a afternoon snack
12 navel organges for dinner followed by 156 calories (a huge, huge bowl) of spinach with a ton of tomatoes and basil on top.

Total calories were 2,418 calories, which was about as low as I go. When I'm running 20 miles I sometimes consume 6,000 calories, and so get many times this amount of food.

The sad thing is that for most people 5 servings of fruits and vegetables is probably a stretch.

Eat your veggies.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrew, I left a message for you on running barefoot a few months ago. I run in vibrams all year round. I just bought the cold weather running vibrams and they really keep my feet warm. Though I don't run in the snow with them. Just wanted to say keep on running in them and your body will be happy you did. I too have stepped on rocks and hurt my feet but the pain doesn't last very long. I have been running on the trails with them with great success. My goal is to run a 50 mile ultra with my vibrams, all on trail! And the best thing you can do is rest for your injury. Then slowly take the winter to get back into running. That is what I did. Before I started barefooting I had to take 2 months off for ankle tendinitis. Then over the winter I started barefooting and never looked back.
If you would like I can send you a photo of me with my virbrams running. It is a great shot of my stride.
Take care
Kathleen (811'er)